In what appears to be an interesting revelation, former Presidential spokesman under the Goodluck Jonathan administration, Reno Omokri has shared an incredible revelation as regards Mr. Timipre Sylva, a ministerial nominee in President Muhammadu Buhari’s recently unveiled ministerial nominations.
Reno Omokri tweeting via his Twitter handle informed his followers that Timipre Sylva was actually prosecuted by yet another of the President’s other ministerial nominees, Festus Keyamo who himself was a former antagonist of the APC administration but who quite interestingly has changed ranks.
Our fact check reveals that Mr. Sylva was indeed docked alongside his co-accused in July 2014 for allegedly using three companies to siphon funds from Bayelsa state treasury between 2009 and 2012.
The companies allegedly used to siphon these resources are Marlin Maritime Limited, Eat Catering Services Limited, and Haloween-Blue Construction and Logistics Limited.
Festus Keyamo was then the prosecuting counsel on behalf of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.
However, in May 2015, Festus Keyamo stepped down as the lead prosecutor for the case citing developments which could hinder him from prosecuting the case effectively and vigorously as reasons.
His then correspondence with the EFCC, read thus:
“Kindly recall that sometime in 2012, the Commission briefed my Chambers to prosecute Charge No. FHC/ABJ/CR/23/2012; Between: The Federal Republic Of Nigeria V. Timipre Sylva, he wrote in a letter to the EFCC.
“Since then, we have diligently prosecuted the Charge and successfully opposed the bid of the accused person to quash the Charge in limine.
The court ruled in our favour for the trial to commence and the Court of Appeal also refused to stay proceedings in the trial.
“However, certain recent developments (in respect of which I would prefer not to elaborate) have necessitated my decision to withdraw from further prosecution of the said Charge.
This is because these recent developments may hamper my effective, efficient and vigorous prosecution of the Charge, duties that are expected of every prosecutor” Keyamo said in the letter.
The President Muhammdu Buhari’s ministerial list has met with a loud backlash with many Nigerians describing it as nothing new and made up of the same lot.
See Reno’s tweet below:
Do you know that one of General @MBuhari‘s ministerial nominees, Timipre Sylva, was prosecuted by another of General Buhari’s ministerial nominees, Festus @FKeyamo, when Sylva was facing a ₦19 billion fraud case? Both of them will now fight corruption with Buhari! #RenosDarts
— Reno Omokri (@renoomokri) July 24, 2019
Lets have your thoughts below.