The new measures put in place by the Nigerian Military would completely eliminate Boko Haram insurgency in the Northeast, the Theater Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, Maj-Gen. Olusegun Adeniyi has said.
The military commander stated this on Sunday when he visited Magumeri, Gubio and Benisheik, headquarters of Magumeri, Gubio and Kaga Local Government Areas of the state, where Boko Haram terrorist reportedly struck last week.
He said the Nigerian Army had deployed new strategies against the resurgence of Boko Haram in some communities in Northeast states.
Our new strategies, “will enable the troops to dominate everywhere; deny the insurgents freedom of movement, enhance rapid response and render assistance to their colleagues when called upon in good time.
“It is true that the insurgents attacked Magumeri and Gubio; there was no loss of lives on troops and civilians, unfortunately, a member of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) was killed and six other persons sustained injuries, either from stray bullets, or while trying to escape,” he said.
The Army Commander described as “misleading’’ reports that the army had withdrawn its personnel from the affected areas which exposed the communities to insurgents’ attacks in recent weeks.
He frowned at social media reports on troops’ withdrawal, noting that such misinformation created fear in the society and aided the insurgents’ atrocities.
“Nigerians need to understand that the army did not withdraw from Magumeri, Gubio and other locations in Borno and the northeast, as erroneously insinuated.
“The troops are now on mobility operation instead of staying in trenches in one location; the mobile troops would be moving to take the fight to the insurgents, protect roads and communities so that people can go about their normal life without fear,” Daily Nigerian quoted him as saying.
He confirmed that Boko Haram torched some targeted residential homes and public buildings in response to the owners’ allegiance to the government and the nation.
“Markets stores are stock with food items and other essential commodities but they were not looted or destroyed by the insurgents.
“Gubio and Maguemri are under full military control, the troops repelled the insurgents’ incursion in the communities and people resumed their normal lives. We will continue to protect and provide necessary security to the people,” Maj-Gen Adeniyi said.
While assuring the people of the local government areas adequate security, he said the army had deployed additional patrol vehicles and equipment to facilitate smooth execution of the war against the insurgents and called on the communities to remain calm and cooperate with the troops.