More people have reportedly been said to have died in the deadly attacks carried out in a country that have left people in shock.
According to PM News, official death toll of the Sunday suicide attacks on churches and hotels in Sri Lanka has soared to 290 with another 500 injured.
The victims affected by the ugly incidents were some citizens of Sri Lanka and even foreigners resident in the country.
Most of the dead are said to be Sri Lankan nationals, but 31 people from other countries are believed to have been killed in the unfortunate incident.
Although, as it stands, no one or group has admitted carrying out the bombings, but the Sri Lankan government has blamed a local jihadist group known as the National Thowheed Jamath which it said had the support of an “international network”.
Meanwhile, according to the BBC, 24 people have been arrested by police in a series of raids.
Another blast on Monday also occurred near a church in the capital, Colombo, as security forces tried to defuse explosives inside a vehicle used by the attackers. Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe has been reported to have complained that authorities were “aware of information” of possible attacks but that the intelligence was not acted upon.
World leaders have been expressing outrage at the deadly attacks and, at the same time, paying tributes to the victims.
US President Donald Trump called Sri Lanka’s Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe on Monday to express condolences while the Prime Minister reportedly appreciated the president’s concern and updated him on the progress of the investigation into the attacks. Mr Trump was also reported to have pledged his country’s support to Sri Lanka in bringing the perpetrators to justice, and the leaders reaffirmed their commitment to the fight against global terrorism.
Other world leaders, including the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince William and Catherine, have also been expressing condolences to the people of Sri Lanka and other affected nations in the sad event.
Recall that the bomb attacks in Sri Lanka have also claimed the lives of three of the four children of the biggest shareholder in fashion e-tailer Asos.
A spokesman for Anders Holch Povlsen, a Danish billionaire and Scotland’s largest private landowner, told multiple news outlets that the siblings were among the 290 people known to have died in a string of explosions.
“Unfortunately, we can confirm the reports,” the spokesman told the BBC. “We ask you to respect the privacy of the family and we therefore have no further comments.”
The names of his children have not been released, but they were reported to have been visiting Sri Lanka over the Easter break.
Povlsen made his fortune as the owner of the Danish fashion group Bestseller, which is the largest stakeholder in the online giant Asos, with 26.66 percent of the company. Bestseller also owns more than a dozen brands, including Jack & Jones and Vero Moda.
Denmark’s foreign ministry said on Monday that three Danes had been killed in the bombings.
The authorities now put the death toll at 290, with more than 500 wounded. The vast majority of victims are Sri Lankan. Warnings have been issued about possible further attacks on the island in the Indian Ocean.
The country only emerged from decades of civil war 10 years ago, when the government won its long battle against separatists from the Tamil ethnic minority.
It is expected that the authority will intensify security operations to forestall any further attacks on innocent people in the country.
What are your thoughts on this story?