Engr. Oluwaseyi Abiodun Makinde, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate in 2019 gubernatorial election in Oyo is now the governor-elect. Born into the family of late Pa Olatubosun Makinde and Madam Abigail Makinde of Aigbofa Compound in Oja’ba, Ibadan, a renowned teacher turned accountant.
As a third child of the family Makinde began his education at St Paul Primary School and completed his primary education at St Michael Primary School, Yemetu, Ibadan. His secondary education was at Bishop Phillips Academy, Monatan, Ibadan. In 1985, he gained admission to the University of Lagos (UNILAG) where he earned his bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering.
In 1998, Oluwaseyi further trained at Industrial Control Services in Houston, Texas on Safety Shutdown System; and Development of Analytical Competence for Managing Operations at Lagos Business School (now Pan-Atlantic University)in 1999. In 2000, he had training in automation.
In 2002, he studied Fundamentals of Crude Sampling at Jiskoot Auto Control Training Centre, Kent, England. Also, in 2005, he studied Understanding and Solving Complex Business Problems at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA.
* He had his Primary education at St.Paul Primary School and St.Micheal Primary School both in Yemetu, Ibadan.
* His secondary education at Bishop Philips Academy, Monatan, Ibadan.
* 1985, he gained admission to read Electrical Engineering at University of Lagos.
* Had his mandatory National Service(NYSC) at Shell Petroleum Development Company(SPDC). Pupil Engineer from 1990-1992.
* 1992-1997, he was a Field Engineer(Eket Operation) for Rebold International Limited. He was later appointed a field manager in the company.
* After a meritorious work from the cradle to the top in various departments, Engr.Oluwaseyi Makinde established Makon Engineering Limited and Technical Services(METS) in 1997.
* He had various training and education within and outside the shore of Nigeria. Among but limited to; Industrial Control Services in Houston, Texas. University of Kent, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Lagos Business School.
Politically, as ANPP candidate, he lost 2007 Oyo South Senatorial District seat to Sen.Kamoru Adedibu of PDP. However, he was denied the ticket in 2011 but was given chance to contest again in 2015 OYO Guber race under the SDP which he lost to the incumbent Governor(Sen.Abiola Ajimobi).
Nevertheless, because of his unrelenting efforts and glaring humanitarian gestures, as a PDP candidate, he contested and won the 2019 Oyo Guber race.
* He is married(wife – Tamunominini) with three children.
SOURCE: InsideOyo and OyoInsight