Days after his team fell 2-0 to AS Roma in a league match at the Stadio Olimpico on Sunday, Juventus striker, Moise Kean, has received bad news from the Italian league after it was confirmed that no action would be taken over the reported racist abuse he suffered recently.
Serie A stated it will take no action against Cagliari over allegations of racist chanting by the Sardinian club’s fans aimed at Juventus players Keane and midfielder, Blaise Matuidi, during a match between both teams back in April.
The league’s disciplinary panel acknowledged in a statement that there were chants, which it described as “certainly reprehensible” but said they had “limited” relevance and perception. “No sanction will be applied to Cagliari,” it said.
A tribunal looking into the case had postponed a decision to obtain more information from match delegates. Kean, who had been jeered throughout the game, stood in front of the Cagliari fans behind the goal and opened his arms after scoring Juve’s second in their 2-0 win near the end of the match.
In response, Cagliari’s supporters made the noise which is described by media in the country as “buu” and is regarded as a racist insult in Italian football, although some fans argue it is simply to annoy opposing players regardless of race.
Shortly after the goal, Juve’s French midfielder Matuidi protested furiously to the referee. Italian football has been plagued by racism and authorities have been criticised for not taking strong enough action. Kean himself has already been fined 2,000 euros (£1,737) for diving during the game.
Kean was not in the squad when Juve fell to second half goals by Alessandro Florenzi and Edin Dzeko in Rome.
While the result boosted Roma’s cause for a top four finish and Champions League qualification, Juve could not be too bothered having wrapped up another league title win few weeks ago.